Santa Maria, the principal church of Mao
Iglesia de Santa María
This temple has arciprestal category and was built by the Catalan conquest in the thirteenth century, dedicated to the Assumption. Rebuilt the church, which is the main parish Mahon-1748, was blessed in 1772, was governor of the island, the English Lord Johnston. Neoclassical style, consists of a single ship. His most important and famous piece is the huge pipe organ, whose construction was initiated in 1806 by the organ builders Otter (German) and Johan Kiburz (Swiss), which was who completed the work three years later. This interesting organ has four keyboards, 51 registers and 3006 pipes sound, 197 wood, metal and 2809. It is located above the main entrance of the church. It has been recently restored and since the spring of 1974 held at the temple many interesting concerts.
Iglesia de San Francisco
A former convent, this is a building dating from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. San Francisco has a courtyard and a cloister of influence and a baroque-inspired exterior Romanesque portal. Inside the temple, the elegant pointed arches of the chapels and baroque and Renaissance irons, beautifully wrought.
Ayuntamiento de Mahón
Neoclassical building. It was inaugurated in 1633 and renovated in 1788. The facade has an interesting clock tower, which brought Great Britain to Gov. Richard Kane, and three Doric arches started from the center of the main staircase. In the Chamber can be seen the illustrious gallery of Minorcan opened in 1858 – in which the portraits are of excellent workmanship, some art-of the most prominent of the island in various activities.
Palacio de la Casa de la Cultura
This is the grand old house Mercadal, built in the eighteenth century on the former site of the old “Castell de Mahon”. Transferred to the city by Codina Villalonga, this palace houses the Public Library, which consists of some 20,000 volumes, including a valuable collection of incunabula and several interesting pieces of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the Historical Archive of Mahon and the Historical Archive Menorca.
The House of Culture is also home to the Provincial Museum of Fine Arts and the Archaeological Museum, with pieces of great value from excavations on the island. They are very interesting collections of prehistoric objects Punic, Roman, medieval and Catalan ceramic and Aztec and Mayan art. It also has a modern auditorium, exhibit hall and conference room.
Cada edificio guarda sus influencias
Ateneo Científico, Literario y Artístico
Cultural institution is the most popular and important part of Menorca. Founded in 1905, and the following year, acquired the “Revista de Menorca”, whose publication was initiated in 1888, opening its pages to historical research, cultural and geographical related to the island.
The University has important collections of Natural History – among which the shellfish, with 10,000 copies, and algae, with 1248 species and 7248 specimens, mapping and Catalan ceramic Menorca. Library also has a membership of over 10,000 volumes and a gallery of themes Menorca.
Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Gracia
Situated on the outskirts of town, this shrine, which houses the image of the Patroness of Mahon holds a front-reformed in 1733. Inside you can admire a beautiful fifteenth century Gothic nave, with some interesting statues of the Virgin and St. Gabriel. Also of interest are the chancel and the dressing room, displaying an exuberant Baroque style.
The shrine of Our Lady of Grace was aimed at military hospital in 1648, 1664 and 1693. During the Revolutionary War acted as Deputy Artillery Park and later the Cavalry Barracks.