Trepucó covered almost 50 000 square metres, and was one of the largest talayotic settlements in Menorca. Although nowadays there is only a small area of the original settlement still visible, it is considered one of the most emblematic sites of the talayotic culture.
Among the monuments still in existence today, two of the original four talayots can still be seen, along with the taula area, some remains of dwellings and some of the walls surrounding the settlement containing remnants of two square towers. There are also some of the 18th century star-shaped fortifications located by one of the talayots.
There is evidence that the settlement was destroyed during the second Punic War (2nd century B.C.). It seems to have been abandoned quite hastily; consequently, excavations have uncovered a number of household utensils in a very good state of conservation (all artefacts are now in the Museum of Menorca).
The first archaeological excavation was headed by British archaeologist Margaret Murray in 1931. Further excavations by the Museum of Menorca took place in the 1980s and in 2010