The relocation of the capital
In the eighteenth century Menorca is constrained by the clashes between European powers.Thus, successively live under British governments (1713-1756), French (1756-1763), British (1763-1782), Spanish (1782-1798), British (1798-1802) and finally, Spanish (from 1802 ). Despite the various changes of sovereignty, the island is experiencing strong population growth, expansion of agricultural production, development of activities related to trade and navigation and in the field of culture a remarkable dynamism.
In the early eighteenth century happened the first British occupation, which was one of the greatest times of economic and cultural splendor that has known Menorca.
Colonel Richard Kane (1660-1736) was the first British Governor. Faced with the opposition that British troops encountered from the nobility and clergy ciudadelanos, Kane, in response to the strategic importance of its port, to move the capital of the island of Ciutadella to Mahon.
The Treaty of Paris
Richard Kane introduced numerous improvements in agriculture that increased acreage. It imported the enclova, an ornamental plant in the mid-nineteenth century would be used as fodder, and he built the famous Camí de’n Kane, who joined the San Felipe castle with Ciutadella, now converted into a country road that still can move with vehicle.
The governor also promoted the development of shipping, ended the Inquisition, restored the old law and held menorquín Catalan as official language.
The first phase of British empire ended in 1756, being snatched from the British island in the midst of the vicissitudes of the Seven Years War by French troops of the Duc de Richelieu, the Marquis of Galissonnière. French sovereignty lasted until 1763, when the Treaty of Paris, which provided for restitution of Menorca to Britain.
In the brief span of time was founded the town of Sant Lluís, characterized by its regular layout, and built the Horse Riding Track, which skirts the island.
In 1763, then starts the second British occupation of Minorca, which had no such positive effects as before, although during this period the village was founded Georgestown, the current Es Castell.
In 1769 the islanders built the church of San Cristobal, the town of origin Es Migjorn Gran.