The Lazaretto was built between 1793 and 1807, and was operative ten years later, providing a location for placing in quarantine those sailing into the port of Mahón, who might be carrying contagious diseases.
Throughout the 19th century it was one of the most important lazarettos in the western Mediterranean; however it was not to be used for much longer. The last ship in quarantine docked here in 1919, and soon after the place closed down.
The buildings are now listed as a heritage site Bien de Interés Cultural. For many years the place was used as a summer holiday residence for civil servants of the Spanish Ministry of Health. The School of Public Health of Menorca has been held here every year since the 1980s.
Ownership was transferred to the island council Consell Insular de Menorca in 2015, when Lazaretto was opened to the public. One of the first measures taken was to organise guided tours. Cultural, educational and touristic events will be taking place in the near future.